Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Active Reading and Learning Power point

Active Reading and Learning

Books gave me the idea there was life beyond my poor Mississippi home. Oprah Winfrey

Be an Active Reader


§Stay focused and alert
§Concentrate on main points
§General understanding
§Dialog with the author and jot down questions


Read difficult material out loud – standing up.
Write in the margins
Draw illustrations
Underline
Sketch
Take notes
Key points
Key words

Apply the Adult Learning Cycle


§Relate – Why do I want to learn this?
§Observe – How does this work?
§Reflect – What does this mean?
§Do – What can I do with this?
§Teach – How can I relay this information to others?

SQ3R Reading System


§Survey
§Question
§Read
§Recite
§Review

Preview material and predict questions


§Make questions out of chapter headings and definitions
§Read to find answers

Outline main points and make connections


§Link new information with what you already know
§Look for similarities and differences
§Look for examples

Integrate Learning Styles


Draw pictures, charts, and diagrams
Use different-color pens to highlight
Read difficult material out loud - Use funny voices
Tape sections to memorize and play them back
Visualize keywords and main ideas
Act it out
Add tactile sensations

practice


The more I read, the better reader I become.
Reading becomes a pleasurable activity.
My vocabulary increases.
My knowledge base increases.

Build a strong vocabulary


§Learn new words
§Incorporate new words
§The more words you know without looking them up the easier reading becomes


Improve vocabulary
Dictionary
Vocabulary book
Observe speech habits

No comments:

Post a Comment